Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Awakes Rice and Beans with Fruit Salsa

I will be the first one to tell you that I'm an average cook, but once in awhile I come up with a good recipe. I threw this new recipe together tonight, and it was very tasty. I would give it 4 out of 5 stars. It only took me about 15 minutes to make!

Awakes Rice & Beans with Fruit Salsa

Updated on Jan 28th

* Cook 1 cup of cooked brown rice. Any rice is fine.
* Sauté ¼ cup of onions.
* 1 cup chili beans very well rinsed, (adds a zing to it). Any beans will due.
* 1 cup of diced tomatoes to taste.
* 1 cup of corn. Or half cup creamed corn and half of reg corn, (sweetens it more).
* 2-3 heaping tablespoons of fruit salsa to taste. I added "Tropical Mango Fruit Salsa" by Savory Collection. Any fruit salsa is fine.
* Salt and pepper to taste.
* 2 to 4 tablespoons of water, just enough so it doesn't burn.


Place the cooked rice, and all the other ingredients in a pan. Mix very well, and heat until hot, (about 5 minutes). Then serve. You can top with a drizzle of Olive Oil if you want, or graded cheese.

Makes about 2 servings.

Serving suggestions- Serve with bread, (corn bread is especially good), and fruit. Maybe some cheese wedges.


If you can't fine fruit salsa in a jar at your local market, these links will take you to some suggested recipes at the Food Network. The first recipe only takes 5 minutes to make. That's my kind of recipe!

Mango Salsa

Peach-Mango Fruit Salsa

0 comments: