Sunday, January 18, 2009

Repost - Grey's Anatomy: Lesbian Kiss, and Suicide

Grey's Anatomy - Lesbian Storyline


Due to the suicide of Jeri Suzanne Horne (Liquid Illuzion), I have asked someone to guest post about suicide. I'm crossing my fingers that they will. Meanwhile, I am reposting the only post that I have on the subject. I have added some links at the end. Obviously, I'm barely touching on the subject. I'm so glad that Liquid had/has a good sense of humor, because this post is an odd mixture.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From Sept.19, 2008

Did you see the Grey's Anatomy season final? If you didn't, don't worry, I won't revel a great deal here. Just my favorite, and lest favorite scenes.

My favorite scene was the kiss between Erica Hahn, and Callie Torres. (I'm predictable, ha?) I think Torres is hot!

My least favorite scene was between Meredith, and her shrink. Meredith had a revelation, and realized that when her mother cut her wrist it was to get attention. After all she was a "excellent surgical nurse", and would have cut her -----, if she meant it. I hate that scene for several reasons.

1) If someone tries to commit suicide they are not in a rational state of mind, and they might try to kill themselves by any means. It might not be the most logic means. It should be seen as a serious attempt, and not just an attention getter.

2) They mention a more effective way to commit suicide then cutting wrists. I hate that! I don't want to mention it. Oh, I knew it before, but someone not so familiar with anatomy and who saw the program might not have considered it. It might have given someone who is suicidal a deadly idea. You've heard of copy cat murders? Well, I'm sure that there are copy cat suicides. Well, at least Meredith didn't point to the area.

Did you know that the suicide rate in the U.S. is twice as large as the homicide rate? (There are an estimated 8-25 attempted suicides to one completion.) It is hidden, a stigma is still attached. I mean, when is the last time you read the obits, and saw that someone committed suicide? It's all swept under the rug.

From Medline Plus

"Suicide is the eleventh most common cause of death in the United States. People may consider suicide when they are hopeless and can't see any other solution to their problems. Often it's related to serious depression, alcohol or substance abuse, or a major stressful event.

People who have the highest risk of suicide are white men, though women and teens report more suicide attempts. If someone talks about suicide, you should take it seriously. Urge them to get help from their doctor or the emergency room, or call 911.

Therapy and medicines can help most people who have suicidal thoughts. Treating mental illnesses and substance abuse can reduce the risk of suicide.

From National Institute of Mental Health"

National Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)

CDC Suicide Prevention Information.

More from Medline Plus on Suicide

Note: I want to thank Suzanne's family for being open about her suicide so that people can have a conversation, and possibly become more informed.

12 comments:

Mike Golch said...

I posted a prayer request for a blogging pal.I'm afraid that she may be one a very bad road as was liquid was. I linked to her site so if any one wanted can go and leave a word of encourgement.Thanks Mike Golch.

Awake In Rochester said...

Hi Mike Golch,

I'll check into it and say a prayer. Thanks!

Amias (ljm and liquidplastic) said...

Very good article, Awake, I am going to link to it.

You, my dear, have a very good heart. Thank you for the re-post.

Awake In Rochester said...

Hi Amias,

I'm glad that you liked the post.

"A very good heart." I take that as high praise. ;o)

Anonymous said...

This is good information and it's nice of you to help get it out there.

Awake In Rochester said...

Hi Giggle Pixie,

Thank you!

I'm making my rounds today & tomorrow. So have some hot coco waiting for me. I'm coming .. ;)

Anonymous said...

You've been tagged with the Honest Scrap Award!

http://caffeineandcabernet.com/?p=310

Elizabeth A. said...

I remember seeing that and getting pissed off. That whole attention angle just really gets under my skin, because even if they aren't trying to kill themselves, there's some serious issues going on.

The sweeping under the rug is also something gets under my skin. Why is it so shameful? Ignoring self-injury just makes it worse in the end.

Excellent points!!

may said...

suicide is very sad. i cannot even imagine what her family is going through. will pray for them...

Awake In Rochester said...

Giggle Pixie,

Honest SCRAP Award? LOL!

I want to see what that one's about. I'll be over soon. Thanks!

Awake In Rochester said...

Hi Elizabeth B. Alexander,

Welcome!

Thanks! I'm glad that someone else saw the same thing.

Awake In Rochester said...

Hi May,

Thanks! I'm sure they can use a lot of prays & support now. I can't imagine either.