Sunday, April 6, 2008

Epic Film Star Charlton Heston Dies at 84



I was just thinking about Mr. Heston during Easter while watching one of his greatest movies, "The Ten Commandments". I knew that in 2002 he announced he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. As a C.N.A., I have seen many who have suffered with this dreaded disease. It can be devastating. My thoughts are with his family tonight.

It disturbs me that we are losing "The Greatest Generation". Not just because I have a few relatives that are of that generation that will leave me soon, but there is something special about them. I have not read the book, but from what from I can tell, generally speaking, they have been though hell during the great depression, and WW2, yet don't complain. On T.V., I saw a chef scoop every last drop of an egg out of it's shell with her finger. When the interviewer questioned her actions, she said she had learned that during the great depression. A nurse at work told me that her grandmother only used one sheet of toilet paper. When I asked why, she said she learned it during WW2, when they had to do without. They both learn to be frugal to a fault, due to the trials of their youth. These women in their 70's, or 80's learned lessons in their youth that they will take to their graves. Lessons that many of their generation learned. Don't waste, don't complain, be grateful for what you have, give to others, and work hard. When knocked down by life, they just get up, and continue without complaint. Maybe we can learn a lesson from them? I know that I sure need to.


New York Times: Charlton Heston, Epic Film Star and Voice of N.R.A., Dies at 84

msnbc: Charlton Heston was larger than life

This link describes rationing and scrap drives during World War 2.

By the way, the spokesmen for the family would not say what the actor died of...Hm.

3 comments:

tom sheepandgoats said...

They blew it up!! Damn them! Damn them to hell!

And of course: "Get your hands off me, you damned dirty apes!

Tim Burton, wasn't it? did a remake of Planet of the Apes a few years ago. It was atrocious almost beyond belief, though I suppose not all of its badness (or even most) can be pinned on Charlton Heston's absence.

Awake In Rochester said...

Hi tom sheepandgoats,

Ah, that was funny!

Planet of the Apes isn't one of my favorite Heston films, but I saw it. I suppose it was rather popular for it's time. He was an eclectic actor, took chances. I didn't realize they remade that film. No, I wouldn't want to see it without Charlton Heston. Not worth it.

Awake In Rochester said...

Hi LadyBanana,

Yes. Perhaps because the WW2 generation had so little, they wanted their kids to have more. And each generation seems to spoil their kids more, and more. Kids have been handed life on a silver platter now. They don't know how to work for something, or truly appreciate things.

If course I speak in generalities. Not all kids are spoiled to death. Admittedly I've been a bit spoiled myself. (blush) But at least I have some appreciate the WW2 generation.

Now give me the keys to the Ferrari mum. I need to go down to the corner store. ;o)