Friday, April 11, 2008

The Culprit is WordPress! And um, me



I have had my share of blog host woes this week. Here is an update, and if you have WordPress it you might be of particular interest to you.

First Google Reader is finally back online after disappearing for three days. I'm currently using My Yahoo as a backup reader in case this happens again.

I blamed Google Blogger for my recent problems, but I was wrong. My apologies to Blogger. To date I only had only one minor problem with Blogger, and that was during the set up. Turns out my difficulty is with WordPress. Ok, It was partly my fault. I admit it. I informed some of blogging friends of free coffee. I mentioned the brand name. I didn't realize that I would get in trouble for mentioning the brand name. I think that is how my website got listed by WordPress as SPAM. Yes, yours truly is now SPAM! UGH! Also WordPress has a new anti-spam plug in that may be prohibiting some legitimate bloggers from commenting. I guess in the wild world of blogging, just like life, that crap happens.

I ask that my WordPrss friends be patient with me as I try to get off the SPAM list. Meanwhile, look carefully at your spam folder, my comment might be in it.

I want to thank dcr blogs for putting is finger on the problem, and advising me. I hope that this mess will be over soon.

Have you had any problems with your blog host?

UPDATE: I am out of the dog house. My blog is no longer considered SPAM! I should have mentioned that it was Akismet, an anti-spam WordPress plugin, that labeled my blog as SPAM. If you have the same problem, you can go to Quick Online Tips for a way out of your dilemma, or contact Akismet directly. My thanks again to dcr blogs for providing those links, and for the advice.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...thats silly about the spam comments....and thanks, I am fairly excited since this means a pay hike and better opportunites when I move!

Awake In Rochester said...

Hi asthepumpturns,

Ah, a pay hike is always good! Hm, where did you say you got your training? ;o)

Fat Doctor said...

Hey, I know blog issues can ruin your whole week. Keep up the good work. I forgot to blogroll you, and you're the reason my blog survived! Will remedy that right now. :)

Awake In Rochester said...

Fat Doctor!

Big SMOOCH on cheek! Thanks for the kind words of encouragement, and adding me to your new blogroll. ;o)

Anonymous said...

That's frustrating and YES! I did find you in my Spam box, never knew that Wordpress would do that.

Thanks for the heads up though!

Awake In Rochester said...

Hi LadyBanana,

It's good to see you! I didn't realize that about my reader feed. However, I know that has happened to someone else. I'm glad that you checked into it. I guess that the blog gods are playing with me these days.

Awake In Rochester said...

Hi -a,

I'm glad that you fished me out of your Spam box. Keep on looking blog friend, it's not resolved yet, hopefully soon.

I didn't know that they would do that either until it happened to me. I am more careful about what I say in comments now.

HP said...

I must be lucky. I have never experienced any big problems with Blogger....

Of course, that could be my famous last words.... ;0
HP

Awake In Rochester said...

Hi Health Psych,

Well, so far, so good with Blogger, but the reader is another story.

I have noticed several people who had difficulties also. I can't wait until I get off of that stupid spam list.

Dr. Deb said...

Yup, you know that I do!!

Sonnie-Dee said...

glad to hear you got it all sorted out. :)

Awake In Rochester said...

Hi Doctor Deb,

I'm sorry that your still having problems. It can be frustrating.

Awake In Rochester said...

Hi S'onnie,

I was told today that I'm off the spam list! Yahoo!

Anonymous said...

While your comments consistently showed up in my Akismet Spam section, I still am 100% sure that it's not because you mentioned Starbucks.

Akismet will separate any post that has two or more links as spam. Since yours had no links, it wasn't considered spam.

You can mention any product by name and not have problems. Whoever told you it was because of your Starbucks comment is full of...well...Starbucks coffee, most likely! ;-)

WordPress just recently (when you began having your woes) upgraded its software. THAT was the problem, I believe, not your comment about Starbucks.

On occasion, a friend of mine will go into spam comments and all she does is drop by and say hello. No product mentioned, nothing like that.

Awake In Rochester said...

Hi Pat,

Good to see you as always. Somebody gave me several of POSSIBLE reasons why I might have gotten on the spam list. Since at the time I was trying to let others know about that free coffee, and mentioned the brand name, I assumed it was because of that. It was my conclusion. I might be wrong. Since I have recently received a letter from Akismet I might write back and ask them for a list of no nos, so I stay in good standing. You might be right, but I want to see a list from them. This is all new to me, and I don't want to repeat it.

Sorry that your friend has occasionally been on the spam list. That doesn't sound right. I mean Akismet shouldn't be making that many mistakes. I know it can be very frustrating. I sure don't want to go through that again.